Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reflection part 2

My topic was Plageriarism and works cited. There is going to be a big push on my campus to try to get the kids to understand the inportance of plageriarism and how every time you use someone else's work, it must be cited. I have have several teachers already ask me to present to their kids at the beginning of school.

My school is an IB school so the students do lots of writing. We go to Rice University several times a year to use their library, so it is so important that each kid understand how to do a works cited page. They do an internal assessment paper in each class every year and the senior year they write an extended essay that is 4500 words. These essays are turned into a grading board and the kids are graded on the topic, the writing, and the sources. So it is so important that our kids understand the whole process.

Our goal is to have all of our students understand how to write these papers and how to cite all of their sources. they must understand that they cannot use another person's work as their own.

Using technology to present this information is so important. It is a somewhat dry subject so any way it can be jazzed up will help. I put in a little humor to catch their attention with cartoons. We will see if it helps.

1 comment:

  1. I think your students will aprreciate your humor. Fun makes learning anything, more fun. I loved your concise focus. I clearly got what you wanted me to learn. I enjoyed the music as well. I'm done and just doing a little comparitve shopping of projects. I think you will find good use for your video.

    ReplyDelete